It would be reasonable to assume that with the range of security options available to homeowners (wireless alarms, CCTV and access control systems, to name a few), that house burglaries would be on the decline. However, the latest home burglary statistics suggest otherwise. Let’s take a look at burglary rates across Australia and what you can do to protect your home.
House Burglary Statistics
These statistics were published by Budget Direct in March, 2018
- There were 225,990 burglaries in Australia in 2017. That’s an astounding one burglary every 3 minutes
- Over 20 percent of Australian homes have been burgled at some point in time
- It takes the majority of thieves less than 5 minutes to enter a property
- The Northern Territory had the highest percentage of break-ins per capita in 2017. Western Australia was next, then South Australia
Why Your Property Might Be Targeted
There are many reasons why your property might be targeted by thieves but these are the most common reasons.
- Your house appears vacant (rubbish bins on the curb, full mailbox, no lights on at night and no cars in the driveway)
- You live in what is considered to be an affluent suburb
- Visible signs of wealth (expensive cars, expensive items visible from the street either in your house or in your yard).
Thieves are also opportunists, so be aware of these common mistakes:
- Leaving doors or windows open
- Accessible backyards
- No obvious security
- Keys left in obvious places
Most Common Items Stolen From Homes
This is often one of those dinner table conversations – what are thieves looking for when they enter unlawfully into a house? Apart from making interesting reading, knowing what thieves consider to be hot items (valuable and easy to sell), will help you to implement appropriate security measures and keep your valuables safe.
Budget Direct’s analysis of the top 10 stolen items from homes reads as follows:
- Wallets, handbags, purses
- Identification Documents
- Computer and video game equipment
Keep in mind, that lightning does strike twice and it is not uncommon for burglars to wait for homeowners to replace stolen items before targeting them again.
Looking to increase your home security in Batemans Bay? Ocean Secure Locksmiths can help with lock installation, wireless alarms, CCTV, safe installation and access control systems. Talk to our security experts today for a free security consultation and quote.